Monday, November 28, 2011

Honestly this specific blog does not need a title because I am just going to go on a rant about how much the school system sucks. Today in our class two English teachers came in to discuss what exactly the common core standards are. I already knew about them from my previous classes, but I did not know the extent that our school system is changing. Such a large portion of the 7th and 8th graders are doing poorly on the ELA's, why? Because the questions are incredibly difficult for their reading level. It is so frustrating to me that when I was going to school, which was not that long ago, my reading level was well above average and these students have so much more than I did when it comes to extracurricular activities, smart boards, nooks, iphones, webquests, and more reading selections, but their reading levels are so low. Why are they not learning the proper skills to highlight, underline, and jot down questions throughout the margins. I think teachers should already be teaching these things. It boggles me that so many kids are failing and the good teachers have to suffer. Not even just the good teachers, but every new teacher like my classmates and I. Maybe these standards of sharing vocabulary throughout all the contents is what these teachers need to actually do the work they are supposed to do. This presentation just scared me for my future career.

No comments:

Post a Comment